Call us: 416-498-9763
While any type of yoga can bring health benefits, yoga therapy involves employing a variety of yoga practices to try and improve a health condition, like cancer. It is a tool that we use and apply to design a home practice that builds on your strengths and helps balance the effect and impact of disease on your daily life. Yoga therapy is an approach to health that encourages us to take the tools of yoga into daily life so that it has a lasting impact.
Yoga Therapy is most often taught in a one-to-one situation, but group classes can also be held where specific issues are mindfully-offered while practicing asana (postures). During your visit our therapist will ask you a series of questions about diet, lifestyle, and health and will combine this with your personal goals to create a daily practice together.
What makes Yoga Therapy unique?
- It is based on a holistic understanding of the human system
- It is individual-centric, not disease-centric
- Every person is unique and yoga practices are developed around individual abilities
- Uses many different tools from yoga and similar healing systems
- Practices are adapted to the changing needs and life situations of each individual
- It empowers individuals to go deeply into their own healing potential and move towards healing and wellness thus moving beyond yoga for just physical fitness
Why Yoga Therapy and Cancer?
- Excellent tool for stress reduction and activates the relaxation response - calming the nervous system
- Can support detoxification of the body and a healthy immune system
- Increases range of motion and flexibility
- Can restores strength
- May address long term side effects like lymphedema
- Builds bone density
- Can help manage weight