Your First Visit
Please allow 2.5 hours for your initial visit. Approximately one-hour will be spent with a fourth-year intern followed by approximately one-hour with your naturopathic doctor. During this time we will:
- Review your medical history to determine what has led to your current health condition.
- Review your current health condition including: the assessment of any relevant pathology, imaging and lab reports, a physical exam, and discussion of any symptoms that may be occurring, or any current challenges physically and mentally/emotionally.
- An individualized treatment plan will be created for you with recommendations for appropriate integrative medical treatments that includes diet and nutrition, as well as fitness and other lifestyle habits. Our recommendations support standard treatment protocols from the hospital and will incorporate naturopathic and holistic therapies such as nutritional supplements, dietary plans, herbal therapies, intravenous therapies and more.
- Assess your body composition using the InBody770 Body Composition Analyzer. The InBody770 test provides a comprehensive view of body composition (fat and muscle) as well as body water. Patients with cancer often experience significant changes in body composition, namely muscle loss, fat gain, or a combination of these factors. When these occur at the same time, weight may not change significantly, which makes both weight and BMI a poor indicator of physiological change. By monitoring objective measures of muscle and fat mass with the InBody 770, we can assess physiological changes and symptoms associated with malnutrition, inflammation and cancer cachexia.
- Order any necessary lab work.
- Following your naturopathic appointment, you will have a brief meeting with our care coordinator to ensure you are able to get started with your integrative treatment plan and to discuss any relevant referrals to practitioners on our team who can further support your physical, mental, emotional or spiritual needs.
Visits with our acupuncture, massage, or psychotherapy practitioners are typically one hour in duration and can be booked as initial sessions at the CCNM Integrative Cancer Centre or alongside your naturopathic visit.
Please fill out the CCNM ICC intake form and bring to your first appointment.
- Follow-up visits, usually one-hour in length, are required to continue to guide and empower you to make informed decisions and play an active role in your health care. Depending on your individual treatment and care needs, the frequency of follow-up visits will be outlined by your care team.